If there are engineering drawings or surveyors’ documents that mark precisely where the Newkirk Monument was set up in 1839, they haven’t come to light. So if we want to figure out, within a few yards, where the Philadelphia, Wilmington & Baltimore Railroad put its 15-foot marble obelisk, we must examine other clues.
Just a few days after Fort Sumter fell in April 1861, a Union regiment from Massachusetts made the daylong journey down the length of the Philadelphia, Wilmington & Baltimore Railroad’s main line. Disembarking at President Street Station in harborside Baltimore, the troops boarded trolley cars bound for the Baltimore & Ohio station, where they aimed to continue their journey south. Instead, they were attacked by a pro-Confederate mob, and 16 Union soldiers became the first casualties of the Civil War. Continue reading →
The Philadelphia, Wilmington & Baltimore Railroad station at Washington and Broad Streets in Philadelphia was the great embarkation point for Union troops from the northeastern states heading south to fight in the Civil War. This print by artist James Fuller Queen (1820 (21?)-1886) shows Union troops arriving from New Jersey by Delaware River ferries. They march in formation toward the southwest corner of Swanson and Washington avenues, where they are served food and drink at the Union Volunteer Refreshment Saloon, organized by local grocer Barzilia S. Brown in 1861, and cheered on by Philadelphians, who have lined up to watch.
After they eat, the troops board PW&B coaches, which take them across the Gray’s Ferry Bridge, past the Newkirk Monument, and southward to war.
Here’s an 1850 map of the Philadelphia, Wilmington & Baltimore Railroad, the line that erected the Newkirk Monument. One of the virtues of this map is that it shows just how direct was the new railroad line between its principal cities — so direct that Amtrak still uses most of the route for its Northeast Corridor trains.
(Want to print out the map and frame it? We don’t blame you. Luckily, you can download a giant scan from its page at the Library of Congress.)